Monday, March 26, 2007

Published! What a Surprise


This is one of those long stories that I'll try and shorten. Harry (my son who is home on spring break) and I were downtown today because it was 80 degrees and we wanted to ride in the convertible. After lunch we went to a bookstore so he could con me out of some digital art books. Those books are right around the corner from the craft books so I wanted to see if there were any new ones out. Well, the B&N employee came and plopped down a stack of books. I saw the title, 1000 Artist Trading Cards. As I picked it up I began to explain to Harry what they were. He said, "Mom, you're probably in there." I went on to explain that I don't make many ATC's, I don't send artwork in to magazines, I would have been emailed that I was in there....

As I was flipping through the book, I saw a familiar elephant that I had used on some ATC's. WHAT???!!!? I desperately flipped through the pages trying to find what I thought I had seen. Yep, there they were. Three of them on the one page. And my name. I screamed right there in B&N in trendy downtown Naperville. I started to dance and hug Harry. He was laughing because I had just said that I wasn't going to buy the book. Ha ha ha. I bought that book and plan to buy a couple more for my folks (who totally don't get why I do any of this).

I participated in the ATC exchange at last year's quilting convention in Chicago. I hadn't forgotten about them, but I had no idea that a book would be published, nor did I dream that I'd be in it. Oooh, Oooh, Oooh. I am sleeping with that book tonight. Now I know why people send things in to magazines. It feels great to see your art in a book, especially when it's a surprise.

16 comments:

Valerie said...

How awesome! I love the elephants! I am making atcs with an elephant on them! haven't gotten the kinks out yet but hope to make a large collage and shrink it to atc size. Print it embellish... and trade.
Love your blog!!!!!
Valerie

Laura said...

How exciting!!! Congratulations!!! I might have to run to Barnes and Noble right now!!!! You said mine is in there, but I cannot believe it!!! Are you sure???

By the way, you look completely and totally gorgeous in this picture!!!

Crazy Art Girl said...

Congratulations!
Belinda

Patty M said...

Congratulations on your being published. I'll bet your still on cloud 9.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sandy!!! How very exciting - yes - to have your ATC's published and be a surprise. I can actually hear you screaming in the Naperville Store!! Keep up the good work. Vi

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Congratualtions! What a wonderful suprise! Marva

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Hearing your good news warmed my artist's heart this morning. Keep on creating.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! How cool is that and having Harry with you when you found it. Hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Sandy,it is so great that you were published...and I LOVE how you found out! I'm going to go get a copy so I can tell people at B&N that I know you...LOL! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Your art is exquisite! I followed the link from your post re: Bev's class at the Moon. Congrats on being published! I was also surprised to see a pic of Harriet on your blog. I have not seen her in ages. I met her through a mutual friend. She is a talented lady too! Keep up the beautiful art...perhaps we will meet at a future Moon class...I sooo missed Bev's class this year. She is awesome. Kathy Sochacki

Anonymous said...

congrats sandy -- now you are immortal. being published in a BOOK does that! congrats times three!!

carolyn / carolina moon

Wabbit said...

Congratulations! What a great story, too. I was so excited for you as I read it. ;-))

treasurefield said...

WHAT a story!! Wow! I think I just jumped up and down a little, too! Yay for ATCs and YAY for YOU!
http://treasurefield.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your work published. That is awesome. Love the elephants. What a great way to find out about something you forgot about! Kudos to you!
Lois Paulo

Vivian said...

Congrats! Mine is in the book, too, page 199! I was as excited as you when I first saw it! Isn't this fun?! Congrats again!

Mary said...

You are famous! Practice your autograph. And, I agree that you are gorgeous in the photo!