Tuesday, July 07, 2009

BBQ 2009

Another fun bbq weekend at the Mayfield house. We estimate that this is probably the 27th or 28th Fourth of July barbeque. If ever there were a family tradition, this has to be it for us. I will try and give a glimpse of how much fun we have and how much joy the weekend brings.

First off, it all starts on Thursday or Friday, whenever the first guests start arriving. We feed 'em! Hamburgers, chicken, brats go on the grill for our family and friends who have to travel. On Friday night, we have a getting-started feast. Fried turkey and spaghetti are the main events on the menu. We add salad, fresh hot bread, drinks, and desserts.


This year, we had the added bonus of beautiful haircuts, compliments of Shanda. She set up a chair in the bathroom and pulled out the scissors.




Saturday morning: Harrison and I get up very early. Harrison starts the grill and I start the cutting and chopping for the salads. This year, my nieces helped out. (They won't like that I have this picture on here. They weren't yet ready for public viewing).


Then, of course, we have to make sure the house is clean. We got my nephew involved in that task.


We always rent a moon jump. This year, we got the Spiderman jump. You should have heard the screaming when my daughter and nieces saw that it was Spiderman! We are all Spidey fans. I usually try to get in when no little kids are around. I make some big bounces and it tosses whoever else in there way up. Too much fun!
(Yeah, that's me)


Shanda and Harry work on making dad's special sauce. This year, Harrison officially gave them the go-ahead to make his sauce. The sibs don't agree on the proportions, but it was a good cooperative effort.


Here's me, finishing up in the kitchen so we can put out HOT food. It takes real effort and coordination to get it all ready at the same time. We could use two more ovens, but we manage.



But of course, the bbq is all about the bbq. This year, we had rain and so we had to move it all into the house. We had to interrupt pool and ping-pong games by making it into a food buffet. As always, the food was delicious. We had plenty of folks to thank for bringing along a dish to share. We have some family favorites, and the praise is always high.


The younger ones work out the video game playing. Amazingly, there is very little arguing about playing. They are pretty good at taking turns and deciding which game to play.



We make our own photo booth in the closet. There's just enough room for two.


There's certainly not room for five, but we squeezed in there. Loads of laughter and not the best shots, but great memories.


Some folks just can't resist a big smooch in the photo booth. Gotcha!


The craft project was a big hit this year. Most times, it's me, some art buds, and the kids. This year, lots of friends got involved in making their craft. I loved that part and so did they!


The kids show off their special skills.



Small groups get together in all kinds of places.



Others get to ride in Unc's car! Woohoooo!


Finally, my mantra for the weekend, was: "Has anybody seen my camera?" I missed capturing shots of Sunday brunch and Sunday dinner before everyone took off. On Monday, when all the guests are gone, I sleep and rest on the couch. Tuesday is soon enough to clean up, put everything away, and write to the blog!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - as I said, bigger & better each year. Don't know how you do it all - and you certainly deserve at least 1 day to rest after.
Carol

Moose Ridge said...

oh, I am SSOOOOO jealous -- you all must have had such a wonderful time being together!!!

Allison
Dunlap TN

Wabbit said...

OMG, every time I visit your blog, Sandy, I see tons of pics of people making and eating food and I just want to raid the fridge because it all looks so yummy! Thank goodness what's in my fridge won't look so enticing!

Thanks for your comment on my blog, Sandy. I wish I could meet up with you all again but I most likely won't be there at all. I'm not sure we'll even be back in town on Tuesday. Plans changed when Alma Stoller cancelled her Monday class. Kelly teaches here several times a year and Angie lives here, so I'll have opportunity for those again.

I hope you IL gals all have a blast at AU this year and please remember me when you're sitting in that bar! ;-))

HUGS,
Marilyn

AmyS said...

Your family always has so much fun together! It's wonderful to see. So glad you had a happy 4th!

Cindy Swan-Eagan said...

Hi Sandy - I think I took you to the UPS store a couple of years ago at Art Unraveled. I see you went to Valley Ridge & took the class with Katie Kendrick - I took that class last fall & LOVED it! See you soon at Art Unraveled - I've been watching the Yahoo Group & I completely agree about the whole in-room coffee thing!! LOL!! See you soon!
Cindy from Michigan

Anonymous said...

Thanks Auntie for the all the fun at the BBq. We had a great time. Darren loves his picture of him in the "whip" ( Uncle Harrison's car) :-).

Love

Nikki

Chef H1 said...

Wow what a wonderful weekend. Ribs,Chicken, and all the sides to go with it $$$... Spider Man Jumper $$$... Craft activities for everyone $$$... Friends and Family together again PRICELESS...

Ps... Where are the pictures of the Chef?

Sandy said...

Chef H1 - The chef doesn't always like his picture taken. Missed him this year because of the rain. I do have a photo of him smooching in the photo booth!

Jill Berry said...

Wow, BBQ and hairdos too! I am comin' to your house! And then you also got to hang with my friend Katie and my other friends Julia, Jennifer and Kathy at Valley Ridge. Lucky you!
From one French press fan to another....