Every year for the past ten years or so, I made a commitment to make my own Christmas cards. At the time, I thought I'd be saving money by making my own and the first cards made were usually one stamp with some special technique. It costs more money to send handmade cards than to buy them, so I realized that I don't save any money. My Christmas list has grown, as well as my skills and I now make between 120-140 cards. Since that is the case, I cannot spend an extreme amount of time on each one, but getting them from conception to the mail takes more than 40 hours. That's crazy, isn't it?
I make all the same card because some of my friends and family have asked for one of each when I tried doing multiple designs. Plus, the design process is the longest part for me. I compare making Christmas cards to being an event planner. I have to come up with a concept, determine the necessary amount of supplies, get bids from various providers on what is needed, make sure the accessories are in place and then make it happen.
The picture above is my task list. I always list out the steps because I make the cards assembly-line style and need to make sure I don't skip a step. One time, I skipped a step and to make up for it, had to add about 5 more steps. The list does not include going to get the supplies or taking the pictures or writing the letter, but those things all have to be done.
While I'm in the midst of making the cards, I get lots of pushback about why I do it, especially since some people have moved to emailed cards or picture cards where you upload a picture and your addresses and a company mails them for you. My response is the same: I enjoy doing it. I enjoy the process of trying to find the necessary supplies. I enjoy the challenge of getting them all done. I enjoy the reward of completing a project. I enjoy watching movies or old tv shows while putting on the postage. I enjoy knowing that every card sent out means someone gets a little piece of my joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
And what a joy it was to receive it and catch up on your life every year. Silence the nay sayers even those in your head.
Post a Comment