Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Autumn collages


Last month, I attended an art retreat in Madison, WI.  The women from a Tracy Verdugo workshop were invited to spend a weekend playing.  I decided to use that time to try a technique I'd seen on the internet that was similar to an artist called Finnabair.  The process requires you to coat lots of small items with gesso, add them to your substrate and then spray with color sprays to bring color back in.

On our way to Wisconsin, my gigantic can of gesso opened in my carry bag.  What a mess!  I had lunch by the lake and picked up some natural items that I coated with gesso. I coated lots of other materials with gesso and put them on the collage.  The altoid tin on the right opens to reveal another fall scene, with brighter colors.  I then sprayed them with several colors of color sprays and highlighted with soft waxes.  The base is a sheet of metal covered with sheet music.

1 comment:

Linda said...

How beautiful!