Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hello Bird

 Hello Bird has taken me almost a year to complete.  Initially, I added loads of texture and paint onto a piece of matboard.  Whenever I was working on something, if I had paint or paper left over, I added it to this board.  As the board got saturated with colors, I started to see the images of the 2 people.  I quickly sketched them in and STOPPED.  I had planned to find some stamps for the backgrounds, but could clearly see these 2 people in the painting.

After a month or so, I pulled it out of the drawer and decided to go for it.  I started working on bringing the people to the foreground when lo and behold, a bird appeared.  I didn't want to draw the bird either, but a quick sketch and there it was.  I put it away again because I didn't want to mess up what had been appearing without intention.

I came upon a scrap of  blue and gold paper and decided it should go onto the painting, so I stuck it on and there was no more of that scrap.  I continued to pull things out of the painting like the houses in the back.  Again, I put the painting away.
 During the Christmas season, when I was supposed to be doing lots of other things, I took out the painting and decided it was time to finish.  Encouraged by lots of friends and supporters, I decided to just go for it and played with it whenever I went into the craft room.  I had such lovely texture and really wanted the texture to stay,
 I put the beads on the bird to add some whimsy and more texture.
I love all the texture in the painting and these houses remind me of circus tents.  So, after working on it all this time, I have finally decided that it is finished and ready for hanging.  I picked out a frame and liked a black background best.

My daughter says that she sees herself and me in this painting.  I didn't think of it that way, but my favorite shirts are red and her favorite shirts are pink...
Hugs!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my stinkin word!!!!!!! i LOVE it, love it, love it! i am so glad you took your time with it and also that you finished it. what a delight!

Anonymous said...

Auntie you are so very creative! I havent stopped by here in a while and I love all of the posts.

Love Nikki

april said...

Sandy! It's wonderful! I love the painting and what a great idea to start with your leftover paint, so not to waste, and see what happens. It's "a happening" alright!

Kyra said...

I just learned of your blog - this is such a lovely picture!

Ashley Calder said...

Such a beautiful work of art! I love the texture. So cool to find little interesting bit of texture and details in each of the shots you posted.

Take care and STAY POSITIVE! Trena said...

This is awesome Sandy!! You'll be teaching at Create soon!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!