Friday, February 29, 2008

My Art Space







My friend, Shari, is coming over today to play a bit. I realized that I had to clean up, so this is the best it gets. I don't show my art space because it is overwhelming for non-addicted, compulsive art supply collectors (It's even overwhelming for other art junkies). I am fairly organized, but have a hard time getting rid of stuff. Give me a few minutes and I can usually find what I am looking for. Art projects are stuffed into drawers and bins. I have some things displayed and have started to put some things in other rooms in the house.

The first picture is what most folks see at a glance when you walk into the room. If they can get over the stuff on the floor and heaped on the desk, then they can see the other side of the room. That closet holds a lot of stuff. Next to the closet and behind the desk is where I keep most of my paper. During the holidays, when company comes, I close the curtains under my desk and under the counter. It seems to make the the room a bit calmer.

I call my chair, Command Central. I can reach most stuff I need without getting out of the chair. My fabulous Genesis Paper Trimmer sits on the counter and I leave it there so that I am not tempted to paint and craft on its surface.

Thank goodness I am tall because most of the containers come close to the ceiling and I have stuff stored on top. I also keep a step ladder in the room, just in case. I would like to replace any non-Iris plastic storage units because they warp and it's hard to get the drawers in and out. I would LOVE to have one of those container places come in, but they would make me get rid of some stuff, so NO WAY!

The last picture is my favorite. My sister, Lynn, found a guy on the internet who made these cabinets out of hollow wood doors. He made them in his garage and has gone out of business. It holds most of my word stamps. I love looking in there for inspiration. Many of my punches are hanging on the door in holders made especially for punches.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting something new... I am going to have to tell my "guests" (Avedas word for clients) about your blog now so they can see how crazy this room is. Somehow I just don't think they grasp the fact of how overwhelming it is! lol My makeup was a hit tongiht I will send you pictures tomorrow! luv Shanda

Anonymous said...

SANDY, I love your room, you have used vertical space very creatively, have to borrow that idea. Got to show my husband, he thinks my room is weird, he keeps closing the door, talking about cold air coming out. He just can't see the creative vibe in there. And, I cannot create when it is clean. I love going in and seeing something in the wrong place and it looks divine. I see the card I sent you "Beauty is a Gift from God on the Door. Great Room!! Brenda R.

AmyS said...

Wow, now THAT is an Art Space! Will you adopt me? LOL It's amazing how much you're able to store in there; very organized and efficient use of space. Enjoy.

Pamela Levingston said...

Wow wish I had seen this before the guy who made shelving out of hollow doors when out of business, that looks very interesting. My space is just as crowded, wish I could part with some of the stuff I seldom use. Thanks for sharing
Queen Pam

Crazy Art Girl said...

Ummm. Don't let those picts fool you. There are other ROOMS with art stuff in it. Auntie Sandy is just showing you her MAIN art space. I still can't believe you did not have a rawhide mallet. Sandy has everything. She is THE woman to go to whenever I need something art related.
Belinda

Anonymous said...

Unbelievably neat. Mine is a disaster!1 Could never have someone organize it because I am sure they throw away more than they keep to make it so neat!
Karen K

Carol said...

Sandy, I love your room as is and after all, it is YOUR room. If you can work in it and love it as is, it is perfect. I am in the middle of working on mine. My son moved out and I got my room back after six years so am finding stuff everywhere. I, too, would not want someone to "help" me. I love my "stuff" and do not plan on getting rid of any of it and tend to take other's "stuff" they are getting rid of. Thanks for sharing your space.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! I'm so jealous. I probably have almost that much stuff but it is scattered all over the house because I don't have a room I can devote just to art. At least I live alone, so I don't have to justify myself to anyone!

Wabbit said...

Wow, fabulous space, Sandy! I'm so envious of all the stuff you must have in there. And you are soooo organized. You don't need one of those organizer people. If I had one in, the first rule would be that all art stuff must stay, just get neatened up.

Anonymous said...

Your room looks great to me! I built behind the door shelving to store my stamps too, can put about 2 deep on mine, but yours looks way cool cause you can see all your stamps. Now I'll start collecting hollow doors..........thanks......Idelle