Friday, November 20, 2009

RIP Mr. Mayfield


Father's Day 2009 on the patio


Last year at Thanksgiving


Harrison's dad passed yesterday after suffering a heart attack. Many folks know him from his years as a plumber/pipefitter and trainer/union steward for Ford Motor Company. We were in awe as he told stories about working at Ford Motor company when it was in full production. He also had many, many stories about growing up in a segregated and racially tense time. He told us how he carried coal, cleaned sidewalks and drank orange pop as a boy. He enjoyed talking to "young folks" and making sure the kids knew how important it is to "SAVE YOUR MONEY!" (They don't listen well).

Our children will miss him so much as he had special names for them. Shanda is his sweetie pie and Harry is his Little Fella. Harrison and Kim will miss him because he was their confidante and voice of reason. His other grandchildren, Lyndon and Vidal will miss him because they loved him and were used to seeing him every day. His wife will miss him because they had 52 years of marriage together. (He still had the picture of her in his wallet from when they were dating). I will miss him because he loved me.

9 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

How nice that you have such nice memories.

I really like reading your blog,

xoxo

Anonymous said...

ohhhh. so sorry to hear this, but what love to hold on to!

rscoach said...

Sandy - so very sorry to hear about Mr. Mayfield's passing - it's never easy and especially around the holidays - hold him dear in your heart - he was lucky to have you and you him - sending prayers and healing thoughts to you and the entire family - much love - xo reva

Anonymous said...

What a moving tribute to a man who was so important in so many ways to all of you. You will miss him dearly, but know that he is truly happy now. You are all in our prayers.
Carol

Pamela Levingston said...

You have my deepest sympathy. You have written a moving eulogy and better still is that he lived such a life.

Brenda said...

Oh, Sandy, I will hold you and your family, especially his lovely wife in my thoughts and prayers. This is a lovely thing you have done.

Mar said...

I´m deeply sorry for your loss. I send you and your family my love.

Crazy Art Girl said...

So sorry to hear about his passing. Give our best to Harrison and the rest of your family. Your eulogy was very touching. I am so sad now. It is wonderful though that his grandchildren will always have great memories of him.
Belinda

april said...

I'm so sorry,Sandy. I can see he was such a nice nice man. You have wonderful memories to hold on to and that's a blessing. My husband is a retired pipefitter!