Tuesday, July 27, 2010

laughter and happy wishes

Yesterday, I was planning to sit on the deck and read a book. Instead, I decided to catch up on some blogs that I enjoy reading. I stopped by Donna Downey's blog and enjoyed this video. I was immediately inspired and ran upstairs to play. I had to start by making a stamp out of fun foam. I used the stiff acetate from the cuttlebug embossing folder packaging. When I peeled off the sticker, the adhesive remained on the acetate and it was perfect for holding the foam stamp.
Next, I pulled out a metal halloween sign that I had purchased for 90% off at Hobby Lobby. I painted over it with a combination of gesso and blue acrylic paint. It has been sitting in my drawer of backgrounds for quite some time and I thought it would be perfect for my inspired project. So, I used acrylic paint on the stamp and watercolor on the background. When I looked for a saying for the left side, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for (imagine that, I need more stamps!) So, I used what I had and enjoyed the afternoon.

While looking through my backgrounds, I came upon this picture that I made last summer in Mystele's Gut art workshop. I never finished it because it all seemed to blend together and I had no idea how to fix it. Well, using the watercolor from yesterday, I was able to make some changes. I added some stamping and the sentiment and now it's good for me.

I have been traveling to Detroit quite a bit this year to look after my mom. When talking to others, I sometimes say I am going home. I get questioned because I live in Illinois, but I always tell them that home is wherever mom lives.

9 comments:

Mary said...

love what you did to the last painting.

you asked about where I put the rest of my stuff - not sure what you mean?? :)

april said...

Thank you for your nice comments and thoughts about Timber on my blog, Sandy. I absolutely love love love your "Mom" piece. What a beautiful memory to have. You are a good daughter. And will have to look at that video!

Mary said...

oh I got it now. Sandy, if you saw my studio when I was working it looks totally different. That photo was taken after I had organized and put stuff away!!! :) Most of the time it does not look that way!!!

Pamela Levingston said...

I love them both. I still go to my mother's room and sit, she has been gone for 15 years and still sitting in that room comforts me. QP

Brenda said...

Love this Sandy, we are on the same page these days, check out the latest on my blog......it has the same sentiment as your piece.....

Pat said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your work is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy,

I found the link to your blog on the repujado yahoo group. I really enjoyed looking at your work. You seem like a really nice person. We have a love of color in common! Did you end up taking the Faces in Technicolor workshop?

Janet
www.janetscoloringmyworld.blogspot.com

Say It In Color said...

Hi Sandy! I was doing the same....looking at older blogs I haven't seen in a whille and found you on Brenda's....So good to see you and I love your stamp and your art piece..."Home is where Mom lives..."....almost makes me tear up, I miss my Mom so much...she has passed but OH those Moms ....how they capture our hearts! And now it will be Aunts with that new baby boy....love seeing your art, your enthusiasm for family and life and your beautiful smile! Now to check the video....have a blessed day!!

Unknown said...

Great seeing you this weekend Sandy : ) Good luck with ALL that information you got in those classes!

Lisa D.