Monday, September 06, 2010

CREATE retreat

One of the workshops at CREATE art retreat last week in Rosemont, IL was for making paper beads. It was the last day of the retreat and I knew I would be tired, so I signed up for something that would be fun and not require too much thinking. Many years ago there was an article in one of the magazines about making a paper bead tool with a hairpin and a dowel. My friend, Mary had her husband make several and I thought it would be great for making these beads. However, when I went to use it, it turned out to be more of a hassle than a help. I was having a challenging time getting the bead started. There is a product on-line that would work perfectly, however, it is $20. Sorry, but I am just not paying that much for a tool that rolls beads. So, I made my own out of a wooden shiskabob skewer. I cut into the skewer with my craft knife and it worked perfectly. I made a whole container of beads in minutes. Then, I covered them with UTEE. I tried the melt pot and got some fun shapes. I plan to make a pair of earrings from two of these beads. Stay tuned.
The above picture is on canvas from a workshop by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer at CREATE. It was a quick workshop on using her technique for shading faces. The canvas was a little plain, so when I got home, I gave her some sparklies. I like it much better know and I will try the shading again on a different project.

5 comments:

purplehatartist said...

love those beads, Sandy. How do you coat them in the UTEE? I have never used it, but I love the effect it gives the beads--they look more polished (literally!).

Pamela Levingston said...

There should always be bling and sparkle. The queen has spoken.

I haven't gotten around to trying drawing, you are so brave.

Pamela Levingston said...

I turned some paper beads into earring years ago and still wear them; you will love them.

Brenda said...

Don't know how I missed this.....you are doing a wonderful job doing your faces......I love the colors in the face.........you are definitely in an artsy groove.

Gina said...

I have not visited in a while but everytime I got ready to comment on a post, the next post caught my eye and I kept on reading! LOVE, love LOVE the Kelli book and the beads are wonderful! I bought a melting pot and 2 pounds of utee last time I was in the US and don't think I have used it once. Thank you for the wonderful ideas and want you to know I am still looking for that childs momma that was serving up the butt, lol!