Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving Traditions

Here's the Thanksgiving craft. I design a project every year and it has to be something that both the boys and girls will do. I try to include some family pictures in the craft. This year, I had the idea to collage a canvas board with a photo covered in mica that can be displayed on an easel. Because I need supplies for 15-20 folks, I had to change the idea due to budgetary consideration. So, we covered a cardboard box in brown paper, used scrapbook paper, punches and stamps for the collage and an acetate picture frame. Here's my sample. That's my Mom-in-law and her brother in the picture.
We have a wonderful Thanksgiving tradition. My siblings and I meet in Detroit at The Residence Inn with our families. We invite other friends who don't have plans for the holidays. There's usually around 30 of us and everyone brings something to eat. I take family pictures and group pictures and Harrison shows them on a slide show. This year we hooked up Slingbox (a device that lets us watch our tv on our laptop as long as there's a high speed internet connection) to the projector and were able to watch the football game before dinner and Gray's Anatomy later that evening. It was fun to watch it as a group. The kids (they are now young adults) played cards and the adults planned their shopping strategy for Friday. As usual, it was a wonderful day full of family, feasting and fun.

2 comments:

Laura said...

HI Sandy!!! What a great Thanksgiving you had! Those family projects are too cool!! What a great idea, both the project and creating together!!!

Crazy Art Girl said...

That is really cute. Traditions are great.
belinda