Monday, January 14, 2008

Must Have Those Magazines



I can't stop myself from buying art magazines as soon as they come out. I even have a subscription to a couple. My friend, Harriet, is the same way. She warned me that the latest Somerset Studio was not worth buying. I bought it anyway, but today challenged Harriet to go through it with a fresh eye and find one thing in the magazine and make some art based on it. So, I took the same challenge. An article on calligraphy caught my eye. Artwork by Jeff Sochen showed how he layered letters in different sizes and colors and cut them into squares and made collages from it. So, I did the same thing using stamps and some of my handwriting. I started out with a piece of paper that I had colored irridescent blues and greens using Traci Bautista's watercolor paper towel technique. The top picture shows how the paper looked after 4 or 5 stamps. The bottom picture shows the final piece with handwriting, stamping with acrylic paint and embossed stamping.

2 comments:

LivLovDoNaturally said...

This is so beautiful. I am off work on Monday and have decided that I will use that day to create and post to my empty blog. I am going to try this technique also.

AmyS said...

This is very cool - I'll have to try it!