Tuesday, October 14, 2008

3-D Swap


I was in a 3-D swap on Images of Color Stamp Art group.  I received this collaged art from Michelle N.  It is a very thoughtful piece.  The bottom of the stand has a quote from the 24th Amendment.  The back highlights Dr. ML King and the front highlights Barak Obama.  Michelle included the following comment on her thoughts while creating this artwork:

"This piece isn't supposed to support Barak Obama for President.  It is supposed to represent where we started and how far we have come.   2008 - An African American, Black, Negro, colored man has been nominated by the Democratic Party to run for the position of President of the United States."

My favorite part is the removable slave collar that Michelle fashioned from a piece of metal and chain.  While I don't believe that prejudice and racism will stop because a black man gets elected to office, I am proud of how far Americans have come in the U.S.  

I can't wait to add a footnote to Michelle's artwork that Barak Obama has been elected to the position of President of the United States!  

2 comments:

Pamela Levingston said...

Wow! now that is art that will make you think! QP

Anonymous said...

Sandy,

Look at the base of the artwork again. I have the 15th Amendment also. The 15th Amendment gave us the right to vote in 1870. Man, my artwork looks good on your desk.