Monday, September 28, 2009

Misty Mawn's workshop



I took yet another workshop. I am becoming the workshop queen. This one was with Misty Mawn at Valley Ridge Studio. I had the best time in the workshop and Kathy snapped this as I was leaving.


This was one of the exercises we did while in the class. I had a bit of trouble with the paint drying and the blending, but it was a step toward the next one, which turned out better. The daisies are real dried daisies. They were put on because I painted the ugliest head of flowers. It looked so bad that I knew I had to cover it up. I had this package of daisies with me and I like it a lot better with the daisies. When I was doing this, I was thinking the word "ancestors." This piece is 9x12.


I absolutely love the background on this one. The leaves were a stencil and sometimes I removed paint and sometimes added paint. My face painting and blending worked a lot better. This was my last face-painting of the workshop and I really felt like I was getting there. I need more practice, but I am really liking this piece. This piece is 9x12.

This last piece needs more work. I loved the background and the chair image, but don't have any more thoughts for the piece. I will probably set it aside for a bit and try and come back to it another day. This piece is 12x16.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

You go ahead wich yo bad self Sandy, I love the lady in the blue dress painting. And I love the daisies for hair. Aren't you glad you messed up the hair?

The Chair painting, why don't you think about Luther Vandross' song: A House is Not a Home, and it says, that a chair is still a chair even when there's no one sitting there. That's what I thought of when I saw it. But heck, it's your painting.

Brenda said...

Yes, you are the work shop Queen!

Suz said...

Your pieces are fabulous...your sense of color is moving. I agree with Brenda...love the daisy mistake..there are no mistakes..only opportunity....I'm going to have to look up that Luther Vandross song...but I trust Brenda (already) I think I see it too!
You have a fetching smile workshop queen

AmyS said...

These are all gorgeous. I think the real dried daisies are perfect, I love the dimension they add. All of the paintings are wonderful. I wonder if your sense that the chair painting needs something is because the chair is empty? Maybe that slight sense of something being missing is, after all, the point of the painting? Just a thought.

Unknown said...

The one with the chair I like best : )

purplehatartist said...

These are even more fabulous in real life Sandy. I seriously think you should give some thought to demo-ing something for us at Creative Spirits!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE! Trena said...

Wow! Beautiful Sandy!! Are workshops fun! Leaning new ways to create!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!
XXOO

Pamela Levingston said...

I love the face in the second one, she is expressing such joy! And the chair just made me think of rest and peace. Great save with the daisies, would have been a shame to waste those faces. QP who is still to scared to try.