Friday, October 02, 2009

First days of Gut Art Workshop


So, can anyone believe I am taking another workshop? This one is on-line. It's about examining your personal creativity. The instructor is Mystele and we met in person last week. Anyway, the first assignment was to make a book cover with some of our stuff that is authentic to me. I decided that I have plenty of journals, wasn't going to make a new one, don't want to. Mystele read my mind because the next thing I know, she was speaking directly to me on the video. She gave me the nudge that I would expect from Lynn, my biggest encourager. Too funny, I guess there are others out there just like me and Mystele knew just what we would be thinking. Ha! I figured I'd better commit since she knew me so well.

Well, I knew I wanted some paper that I've made, most definitely some of my stamps, some die-cuts, some scrapbook paper, stickers, and absolutely some photographs on my cover. Floating around the desk, I found some dictionary definitions on the same page: complement, compliment, composition. The above picture shows where I laid out my cover.


I have been working on altered books over the last several years and have loads of books. I used one of the book covers from a garage sale book for the collage.


So, I get it all glued down, painted and blended, photo and die-cuts added. Great! Finished. Then I decide it needs some bling. Why? Because I love sparkly, glittery, embellished stuff and this collage is supposed about MY art. The nailheads forming the name are an iron on. I get them laid out, iron it on and the paint from above the letters lifts off! Ay yi yi! I thought I was finished. The patch over the letters above my name and to the right are what lifte off. Back to work and I get it to the stage at the bottom...finished for now.

6 comments:

Pamela Levingston said...

One day I will be free enough to try this. Looks like so much fun. But I guess being authentic I'm a stamper through and through. I will keep watching your flight of freedom. QP

Harriet Reese said...

Love your Cover! You did a great job. Now I have to start mine...

purplehatartist said...

Love those colors. "Gut Art" sounds so intriguing!

Anonymous said...

so cool, sandy!!! i've been waiting to see what you're up to! i love the confident way you approached your cover- awesome!

Unknown said...

I love your book cover too Sandy. Especially the colors your chosen!!!

Charisse said...

I love this. I will definitely be signing up for her next session. I am glad I found your blog through Mystele. I am a new fan!