
This painting was started in Katie Kendrick's workshop at AU. I was inspired by the artwork of April Harrison, an artist whose work I discovered when buying a calendar last year. She combines collage with painting and uses an exaggeration of limbs that add interest, line and movement. We were supposed to determine what we liked about the artist's work and use that element as inspiration in our own painting.
So, in this piece, I looked at an image that had a man with long arms playing a banjo. I liked the shape so decided to use the long arms and the shape. Somehow, a woman holding an egg began to form. Then the egg became a baby. In our collage packet from Katie was an admission ticket that got incorporated. I started thinking about motherhood and eggs and babies.
The woman's dress and the baby blanket have different textures. It's hard to pick up in the picture. It can be seen a bit better in your hands but is very subtle. I used a lace paper of circles in the woman's dress that went with the egg and face shapes. I used a lace paper of squares in the baby blanket that goes with the windows in the background. Oh, so clever! lol.
After I got home, I deepened the colors of the dress, added a bit more detailed painting to the faces and added a lap on the woman. She seemed to be floating. On the back of the collage, I wrote: "An egg takes nine months to nurture and is immediately admitted into your heart."
I am working on another collage that I started at AU. I didn't really finish many of the projects from the workshop. I guess I just work best at home.
5 comments:
This is lovely! Your painting is beautiful and I love the addition of the ticket! I am reading about all you've been doing and my my - you have been busy! (thank you for your nice comments too!)
I like this piece, is this a page in the book that you made with the cheesecloth on the spine? The woman's face and hair have the "flavor" of you.
I like it before and love the after! You do great work. So when are you going to teach a class?
Sandy! Very cool piece! I really dig the colors and texture!
Take care and STAY POSITIVE!
sooooo COOL!!!
Post a Comment