In the final class at Art Unraveled, I was probably a bit burned out from all the workshops and socializing and not sleeping in my own bed. The workshop was not presented in a manner that I could follow and I ran into a snafu while putting together my collage. I could not work it out in my head and was so frustrated. I was fairly satisfied with the collage but could not get past the right bottom corner. That shoulder was supposed to lead off the edge of the board and now it just stopped in the middle. It looked deformed and I couldn't figure a way to hide it.
My misunderstanding of the project had the shoulder cut off and it bugged me so much that I had to take a nap at lunch to cool out. I was actually going to take a power saw to the piece. Now that I am at home, I worked out a solution. I don't think it looks much better than it did before the makeover, but I am more satisfied. So silly. I also put some homemade dog tags in my hand. Yes, the girl in the yellow dress is me.
In fact, this piece is a piece about my dad. Two pictures used to sit on the piano. One of my dad in his civilian clothes and one in uniform. As a little girl, I would say my dad was the one in uniform and my sister's dad was the one in civilian clothes. The story goes that when he went out of town for work, he would come home in his uniform and I would jump in his arms. Well, the one time he came home in civilian clothes, I ran away and cried. In this collage, I added the hat to show that I have reconciled that he was one person. I added the dog tags because the officer was my dad. I know that when he went away, home and family were in his thoughts. Also, my dad was very smart and mathematics and calculations came easily to him. All of these things are represented in this collage.
2 comments:
I love the finished product and I think it is a great tribute to your father! I definitely like it better after you covered the shoulder! I wish my collages looked less like co-garbage.
Sandy, I love this collage about your father! Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment. The poetry birds were a commitment I made to a swap but they became really fun when I found that remnant of the green and white upholstery fabric at JoAnn's. A little 505 spray came in handy. Marilyn
Post a Comment