Monday, July 21, 2008

Wotta Weekend!



We had a jammin' weekend.  First of all, my necklace was a huge hit.  I got loads of compliments from my friends and strangers.  Yay!  Second, we went to see African art at the Art Museum.  I can never complain about that.  We saw a dance troupe who wowed us with dance and information.  We learned the difference in the drums and how the dancers know which moves to do based on communication from the drums.  There is a lot of symbolism in the movements and music and much of it has to do with family and communication.  

We also took salsa lessons and let me just say that salsa dancing could be addictive and quite a workout.  Harrison now thinks he is the SALSA KING!  We also went and heard a live band that played old-school music and lots of Prince!  Woohoo, Prince is my favorite, especially the old stuff.  We stayed at the Chicago Blackstone Hotel which recently reopened after being closed for 10 years.  It was beautifully refurbished and the beds were great.  We should have stayed two nights just to spend more time in the room.  I loved this piece of furniture.  The drawers were deep, the bench underneath was useful and it was just so thoughtfully made.  I will always be on the lookout for a piece like this, even though I have no where to put it.


You can also see a small peek of the curtains.  They were gold and cream and silver and transparent, with tiny threads of copper woven through.  I would love to have a jacket of that material.  Great hotel.  I give the rooms a 5 star rating.

On Sunday we went to the Evanston Ethnic Art Fair.  Evanston is such a beautiful town and the fair was right on the lake.  I ended up buying some African beads.  I had my friend, Debra, with me and she did the bargaining.   I got a great price thanks to her.  We also spent time in the booth of two African American quilters. Click on this link if you would like to see some of the quilts.  Handworks by Trish  They had some beautiful quilts and each had a unique style.  I purchased the  book shown below just for inspiration.




We ended the weekend seeing the new Batman movie.  I have to say that it lived up to the hype.  I don't think the tragedy of Heath Ledger made me go to the movie, but his acting as the Joker was superb.  

That's enough for today.  I have to go practice my salsa steps.  Where's my salsa king?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicago is a wonderful town. It was nice to get out and experience some of what it has to offer.

SALSA King

Anonymous said...

We did indeed have a FABULOUS weekend...partying like we were young folk!!! Benny also liked that piece of furniture... By the way, if Harrison was the Salsa King, you were definitely the Salsa QUEEN!

Pamela Levingston said...

I knew that necklace would be a hit! They teach Salsa every Thursday for free here in my town on the square...I will have to get my girlfriend to go with me. Glad you had a great time. Can't wait to see what you make with the new beads. QP

Anonymous said...

U & Uncle Harrison must show me what u learned in salsa class. Maybe u 2 can be the talent at uncle Jimmy's bbq. LOL

Love
Nikki