Thursday, July 31, 2008

Relaxing Art Week




Our timeshare (grrrrrr and frustration) finally found a trade for our week.  It was down to use it or pay more money to not be able to use it at a later date.  Anyway, it didn't work out that Harrison could go, but I packed my bags and drove to Lake Geneva, WI for the week.  

I have wanted to take a class from Laurie Mika, a polymer clay artist, ever since I bought her book, Mixed Media Mosaics.  I knew that I might be alone for awhile, so I brought that book, pasta machine, polymer clay, molds, mica powder, paint, a few stamps - only a few, and misc. clay tools.  I also brought my Wii dance mat and rock band, but that's for in between reading, relaxing by the pool and playing with clay!

After bringing all of that stuff, I found that I didn't have stuff I needed, so I have just played with making the polymer clay tiles for mosaics that I will do at a later date (hopefully this won't go into my stash of Unfinished Art Objects).  I have a whole tray full and will be here for two more days, so no telling what I'll end up with.  

One thing I realized about myself is that I work s-l-o-w-l-y.  I was just wondering if I ever took a class with Laurie, would I be able to finish my project.  I would either work quickly to keep up - but be dissatisfied, or I would just lag behind and finish later (which is what I do at most workshops).  Anyway, this has been fun.

1 comment:

AmyS said...

You've done some gorgeous art in your time so far. I also work slowly, and I think I am slowing down even more as time goes by. Enjoy the rest of your time there.