Friday, March 13, 2009

The experimental meal

Back in October, Harrison and I took a cooking class on braising. Basically, you sear the meat, add the veggies and spices, add some liquid and let it cook.


So here's the meat marinating. I needed something to begin breaking down the meat. The chef instructed us to use something with lots of sugar, like Coke. I didn't have any kind of pop or juice in the house, so I used the Southern Comfort that I've been using in my tea to help with my head cold. Right then, I took the attitude that this is all an experiment.

Here's the beef being seared in the skillet. I seasoned it and I just need to brown it in a bit of oil. Then I transferred the meat to the crock pot.


The beef left all these wonderful brown bits in the skillet, so I added some onions, let them get translucent, added a bit of flour and put that over the meat in the crock pot.


Then I added winter veggies to my crock pot and spices, although I remembered that in the braising class, the veggies went on the bottom. Oh well, this is an experiment, right?


Next comes the wet stuff. I added stewed tomatoes, mushrooms and some red wine that we didn't finish last week. It all smells delicious. I bet it tastes good too, even if it was an experiment.


Edited Post: It was delicious! Adding that onion gravy gave it just the right amount of thickness. Mmmmm.

6 comments:

AmyS said...

Mmmmm, looks fabulous!

Sorry about the crafting doldrums, I'm in them, too. Did you get started on your mosaic again? Hope all is going well for you.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious except for the tomatoes! All that liquor used to marinate and cook it u should be drunk...lol.

Love Nikki

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. Do you think you can freez some until after Lent?
Lynn

Crazy Art Girl said...

Looks good!
Belinda

april said...

Oh yum! This recipe looks wonderful. I will have to try this and with the Southern Comfort! double yum.

Anonymous said...

i want some... it reall good.

Love Lique