Thursday, September 14, 2006

Calligraphy workshop

I took a class from Lisa Englebrecht who is a master calligrapher. I loved her work and have always wanted to do calligraphy. Well, I learned that calligraphy takes a lot of practice but I also learned what I was doing wrong when I tried on my own. I learned how to hold the pen correctly and form the letters. I was able to get a pretty good letter m and the letter o on paper. So, I wrote the word mom on the canvas. It looked pretty good, so I tried some of the other forms. The most fun part was playing with the calligraphy inks on canvas. I'll probably do it again on a play day. I had this picture of me mom and Sukie in my images bank and so used it on this canvas. It was all practice trying out different kinds of pens and markers. I don't like the composition, but am keeping it because of my success with the word MOM.

5 comments:

Crazy Art Girl said...

I like that. It is very good and very endearing. Awww. Really. I mean it!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite pictures. ...though I'm still feeling a little left out. The one taken 40-something years later might not have the same effect. :-)

Anonymous said...

That previous comment was me. Finger slipped.

Anonymous said...

I love this! How clever.. Who is this in the picture? Is this you

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is really good. It's hard to believe that you accomplished so much in a short amount of time. I guess if you worked on these projects full time than you could create more. Oh that's right, this is full time. Nice job.